Saturday, July 2, 2011

Substitutions in Baking

Last night I made Mini Pies and they turned out great and wanted to share the recipe and pictures.  Summer has been so much fun and I am learning the more I bake the more I love it!
It was a bit of an adventure regarding ingredients.  I began with the crust which calls for 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 3/4 cup sliced butter, and 4 tablespoons of water.  Depending on what I am making, I try and do half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour.  So I proceeded to do that with the pie crust.  Although after measuring out the flours I realized that it was not whole wheat flour that I measured but rather wheat bran.  I called my mother and she said to just use what I measured and it would turn out fine.  So that is what I did.  I proceeded to make the crust and then put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
While the crust was in the fridge, I made the pie filling.  My original plan was to make apple pie.  But then I saw that we only had one apple so that would not work.  I had a recipe for filling which included raspberries and blueberries which I had but it called for cornstarch which I did not have.  I looked up on the internet and saw that I could use flour instead if I use double the amount.  So for the filling I used 3/4 a bag or frozen raspberries, 1/2 bag of frozen blueberries, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and 8 tablespoons of flour.  I mixed it all together.
I used mini pie dishes that we had but you could also used cupcake pans.  I rolled the crust out and cut them into the correct size circles.  Then I filled with pie filling and covered them with another circle with a slit in the top.  Right before I put them in the oven, I brushed egg on the tops of them.  I cooked them for 25 minutes on 375 degrees.
They turned out VERY good!  I like using whole wheat flour because it gives a lot more flavor to the baked goods and the wheat bran did the same.  If I made these again I will use the wheat bran again just because they turned out with a lot of added flavor(and fiber!).  We had them with Trader Joe's vanilla ice cream and whip cream.  They were great!
Here are some pictures!!
Cutting out the pie crust

Mini pie pans filled with crust

Pie Filling!


Before the go into the oven

All done and ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment