Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My First Blog Post Ever!!!

I have thought about having a blog for a while now and today was the day thought I'd begin.  This is exciting for me and I am anxious to see where this goes.
To tell a little about myself...
I am a student at Seattle Pacific University and originally from Sacramento.  I build my identity on the fact that I am a daughter of God.  I want so badly to live as a reflection of Jesus.  This is what I strive for and although I fail a lot, God has never forgotten to pick me up and lead me on.  I am constantly amazed by God's grace in my life and the mercy He shows me when I turn and run from his love.  I love Him so much!

This quarter I am in a class called Christian Discipleship.  It is an excellent class with an excellent professor, Dr. Ed Smyth.  We have been talking about transformations in our lives that need to happen in order for us to be more like Christ and better disciples.  Thinking about this, it has been very overwhelming due to the extent of my faults and transformations I need to do.  Dr. Smyth gave us a print out of Colossians 3:1-2 from the Message:
"So if you're serious about living this new resurrection life with Chirst, act like it.  Pursue the things over which Christ presides.  Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you.  Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ-that's where the action is.  See things from his perspective."
This is so convicting to me.  After discussing all of this in class, I feel as though I can not go on the same as I have in my life.  The thing that I have become aware of most is how lazy and impatient I am.  I am realizing that I am waiting to wake up one day and have a changed mind, thoughts, attitude, and habits without putting in the effort to get there.  How can I think for one second that I am going to live a life like Jesus lived without studying Scripture and spending time with Him?  I need to remember that my maturity takes time.  It is not going to happen over night but will rather take months and years.  I will never get to full maturity with Christ because I am a broken sinner.  God will help me through this time as I put in the effort.  Ask, Seek, Knock are the words Jesus uses on how to pray.  All I have been doing in Asking and now it is time to seek and knock.
Change:  The change that will come from this in my life will be two separate times I spend with God.  First, I will spend time with God in the morning.  This quarter I have an 11am on monday, wednesday and friday and before class, I will spend time in scripture.  I will be memorizing and being taught by the Holy Spirit.  On Tuesday and Thursday, I have an 8am so I will spend this time in scripture directly after.  Second, I will spend some time at night journaling and reflecting on how my day went.  The things that I struggled with and the many blessings to be thankful for.  God is number one priority in my life and it is now time to give Him that time to reflect that.
I go to Mars Hill Church in Ballard and am in a Community Group.  I plan to ask the girls in this group to help keep me accountable for this change.
I encourage you all to reflect on the areas that need change in your life and begin seeking for change as you ask for the Holy Sprit's help.  It is His strength that will help and teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment