Monday, January 14, 2013

How It Began

Today, the beginning of my new prompt schedule, I will be writing about a memory.  Because most of these memories will be involving college I thought I would begin with telling the story of how I ended up in Seattle and the anticipation it involved.

I decided I wanted to come to the Pacific Northwest for not much more reason than that it was different than what other people were doing.  I applied to 5 different schools, all being in Oregon or Washington.  When I visited SPU I felt like I had to come here!  I remember so clearly the day that I received the letter.  I had called earlier in the week to see if it had shipped and they said it had and it should be arriving around Friday.  So after school, I sped home, opened the mailbox and saw a big envelope.  If you have ever gone through the college application process, you know the good letters are in the big envelopes and the let downs are in the small envelopes.  I jumped back in my car at the end of the driveway and couldn't even wait to pull in so I immediately ripped open the envelope and found the letter and all the goodies that go along with the being accepted.  I called my mom, texted my teacher and everyone who I had been talking to about this anticipated day.  I was accepted and had no doubt in my mind that I would be moving to Seattle and going to school there.

The summer before was awesome and, as much as I can remember with it now being almost four years ago, seemed to go by very slow.  All my conversations involved talking about the upcoming years in school.  Where I would live, who I would live with, fears, excitements and everything else you can imagine.  I spent time with friends(now knowing that was the last time) who were also leaving for school and preparing to say goodbye to my family(which I really didn't know or understand what that was going to look like).  The closest reference I had to relate the experience to was going off to camp.  I had been going to summer camp for about ten years and it was a very familiar feeling.  That is what it felt like.  Summer camp.  I felt like I was going to leave my family and then come right back.  Yes and no.  Yes, I was coming back and of coarse got to see them but I was also moving away. This meant I would be in Seattle more of the year than I was in California.  I remember about a couple weeks before I was leaving, my mom would come in and say goodnight to me and would be crying.  I will never know until I have the experience with my own kids(if I am blessed in that way) what my mom was feeling.  I do know that it was sad but also a joyous feeling she felt.  She has never shown disapproval of me moving and has been so supportive which is what children really need from their parents.  To know that what ever they do, they could never step out from their parents love or acceptance of them.

I look at this time leading up to college and see someone who has grown up so much now.  And that is perfectly okay that I was the person I was then because now I am a more sanctified version of that person.  Jesus is sanctifying me on a daily basis and that is the reason why I can look back at life and be joyful.  If I could say one thing to that person the summer before college it would be to not fear.  Funny because how often I did hear those words only not coming from me but rather coming from the Lord.  There is no reason to fear the unknown or the unexpected.  It all works out, it always works out.  And even better, when you are in Jesus' family, you only have joyfulness and comfort to look forward to!

I could have never expected the amazing journey God put me on when He brought me up to Seattle but I will ride this wave of His grace until He decides to put me on another one!

My mom and I my junior year of high school visiting Seattle.
This is when I decided I wanted to come to SPU!

No comments:

Post a Comment