Thursday, May 19, 2011

Back in the Saddle

So this morning was the first time I had run since Bloomsday on May 1st.  After the race I told myself I was going to take a little break and that break made me lose motivation for any kind of working out.  I tend to be very rigorous and almost obsessive about making a set schedule on when I am going to workout along with what I am going to do.  Then when the time comes, I don't want to do it because it feels like work rather than enjoyment!  So when I talked to my counselor about it, we came up with a solution!  I very loosely decide which days and sort of when I will exercise(we also talked about changing what you call it.  Rather than working out which sounds so intense, I decided to start calling it exercise or movement.) but not to plan what kind I will do.  That way I can do what feels fun to do at that time and what I want to do!  This will help me to look forward to exercise because I know I am going to be doing something which I want to do at that time and not something I feel like I have to do.
Today was like that.  I planed on going to our school gym and doing something like the bike or something but then I woke up and it was so sunny and beautiful outside I couldn't pass it up.  So then I changed my plan, guilt free, and went for a run outside down the canal.  It was a lot of fun!  Because I haven't run for a couple weeks, I only ran two miles but I also ran up these hills which I usually walk up.  So that was a plus!  They really got my heart beating fast!  I am learning to use exercise as a way to improve my health and enjoyment rather than focusing on weight loss.  Slowly but surely that will happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment