Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Working Woman

As many of you know, I am now a working woman.  I am still a student but now I am student with a job.  I work for my school's catering company which has actually been a very fun job!  I work random hours throughout the day but am given lots of time for studying, sleeping and class.  That is the nice thing about working on campus.  Along with that, I am also learning a lot about hosting events, the proper way of setting and designing a table and so on.  This is my fourth week on the job and I just got paid.  Now I have not worked a paying job since the summer between my sophomore and junior year of high school.  During that time, my parents still provided me with money for the things I needed, I had a car and I didn't have anything I was saving up for.  So, stupidly, I spent my money on things I didn't need.  Now, my parents still provide me with money for food and the essentials(just for this year but come next year, I will be paying for all of that), but knowing how hard I worked for my money, I put it straight into my savings.  Now part of the reason is because I am saving up for an iphone which I will buy when I get home for summer(22 more days!) but the fact that I have worked for my money, spending it on things such as clothes or going out to dinner doesn't seem as though it is worth it.  I am very happy that my attitude toward money has changed and a lot of it is probably due to that summer when I spent it all and how at the end of the summer I felt like it was not worth it.
I am now in the process of applying to a few summer jobs as well as volunteer positions.  I am praying that I will get one and that way I will have money with I will be saving up for next year in college where I will be living in a house off campus!!  I will have more bills than I expected but if I learn how to manage my money well, it should be no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment